Register an Out-of-State (Foreign) Business

In some cases, an organization’s name may not be available for use in West Virginia due to name availability or naming restrictions. In these cases, the business must register a ‘forced DBA name” for use in West Virginia. See What is a “Forced DBA Name?” for more information and filing requirements.

If your foreign business is veteran-owned, it may be eligible for the Secretary of State registration and annual report fee waiver. Read more about the Veteran-Owned Business Waiver.

We also provide paper forms to register your business. Select your business type:

Exempt Corporations and Limited Liability Companies

Depending on its business activities, a corporation or limited liability company may file for Exemption from Certificate of Authority in West Virginia through Secretary of State. If the entity qualifies, an application for Exemption from Certificate of Authority must be filed with this office. You should review the business activities for which a business may claim exemption in the application instructions before filing for exempt status.

If we may be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us:  304.558.8000   toll free 866.767.8683  email:​​​