Cancel/Withdraw an Out-of-State (Foreign) Business

Special Instructions regarding Corporations, Voluntary Associations and Business Trusts

The Secretary of State will request, in writing, clearances from the following state agencies:

  • West Virginia State Tax Department,
  • Employer Coverage Unit (Workers Compensation) and
  • Department of Employment Security.

After our office receives the written releases, which may take as long as two (2) years, we will prepare and mail a Certificate of Withdrawal to the address provided in the withdrawal application.

The business is liable for all taxes, fees, penalties, interest, etc. until clearances are obtained from all departments and divisions listed above.

Unincorporated non-profit associations cannot file a cancellation/withdrawal online. See the special note below for further instructions.


An additional $1.00 online processing fee
will apply to all online filings.

Filing Fee: $25.00

File online at the West Virginia One Stop Business Portal.

Special Instructions for Unincorporated Non-Profit Association

See special instructions to cancel/withdraw a foreign Unincorporated Non-Profit Association.​​

If we may be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us:  304.558.8000   toll free 866.767.8683  email: