Land Reuse Agencies/Municipal Land Banks

The West Virginia Land Reuse Agency Authorization Act of 2014 (W. Va. Code §31-18E-1, et seq.), was passed to confront the problems caused by vacant, abandoned and tax-delinquent properties. Land reuse agencies (or “land banks”), are one of the tools that municipalities and counties may use to facilitate the return of problem properties to productive use.

If you represent a municipality or county and wish to setup a land reuse agency or municipal land bank, please consult your local counsel to review the requirements of W. Va. Code §31-18E-1, et seq.

To form a land reuse jurisdiction, the municipal or county governing body shall file a copy of the ordinance with (1) the West Virginia Housing Development Fund, and (2) the Secretary of State’s Office. After receipt of the ordinance, the Secretary of State will issue the appropriate documentation indicating the formation of the entity.


To submit an ordinance to the Secretary of State, please complete the Registration of Land Reuse Agency or Municipal Land Bank (Form LRA-1). Submit the completed form to the WV Secretary of State’s Office according to the instructions in the attached ‘Customer Order Request’ form.

For further assistance registering a land reuse agency or municipal land bank, contact the Business Division.

Land Bank  ​

If we may be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us:  304.558.8000   toll free 866.767.8683  email: