FOIA Requests for records NOT maintained by the West Virginia Secretary of State's Office

Requests for public records must be submitted directly to the public body that is responsible for maintaining the records (see W. Va. Code § 29B-1-3).

To identify the proper public body, consider the following:

  1. The agency that created the record

  2. The agency responsible for keeping or holding the record

  3. The public official responsible for protecting the record


If we may be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us:  304.558.6000   toll free 866.767.8683  email: