Home | Business4WV
Font size: A-  A  A+

 Foreign (out-of-state) Qualifications

Foreign companies are those which are domesticated in another state or country. In order to transact business in West Virgina these entities must register with the West Virginia Secretary of State's Office. This office provides forms which meet the minimum requirements for registration. In most cases the form must be accompanied by a certifiicate of good standing or existence from the domestic state. See the index of forms for Business Organizations for complete instructions for your entity type.

In some cases a corporation or limited liability company may not be considered to be "doing business" in West Virginia. Therefore, an application for exemption will need to be filed with this office. Corporations (form CF-2) and limited liability companies (form LLF-2) should review the activities considered to be exempt before filing.

After qualifying, a foreign entity may record changes such as amendments or mergers by filing a certified copy from the domestic state verifying this change. See the fee schedule for applicable costs.

An application for withdrawal or cancellation must be filed with the Secretary of State when a foreign entity wishes to cease doing business in West Virginia. See the appropriate form for your entity type for specific instructions.