Home | Business4WV
Font size: A-  A  A+

 Veteran Owned Business

When it comes to serving veterans, West Virginia means business! West Virginia takes great pride in honoring military veterans and their families. In a bi-partisan effort to encourage economic growth and to facilitate veterans transitioning from serving our country to re-entering the work force, effective July 1, 2015, the West Virginia legislature passed the veteran-owned Boots To Business Senate Bill 316 which waives the initial Secretary of State business registration fee and the annual report filing fee for the first four (4) years - a potential savings of up to $250 - for new business registrations filed through Secretary of State's Office.


The Boots To Business waiver, endorsed by the West Virginia Veterans Coalition, encourages West Virginia veterans, as well as out-of-state veteran-owned businesses, to open their business operation in West Virginia. To meet the requirements for a "veteran-owned" organization, the entity filing the registration must meet the following criteria per West Virginia Code 59-1-2a:​

  1. "Veteran" means the term as defined by subsection (a), section seven, article one, chapter nine-a of this code. Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, a veteran must be honorably discharged or under honorable conditions, and as described in 38 U. S. C. §101.
  2. "Veteran-owned business" means a business that meets the following criteria:
      a.  Is at least fifty-one percent unconditionally owned by one or more veterans; or
      b.  In the case of a publically owned business, at least fifty-one percent of the stock is unconditionally
          owned by one or more veterans.

Register your veteran-owned business conveniently by filing online at www.business4wv.com. Or, if you prefer to file by paper application, you may complete the appropriate application by selecting from among the various business structure applications available from this website under the Forms for Business and Licensing page.

The applicant must provide proof of honorable discharge or proof of discharge under honorable conditions by submitting to Secretary of State along with their initial business registration application a copy of his/her Veteran Affairs Form DD214. The copy of the Form DD214 may be obtained by contacting the National Personnel Records Center - Military Personnel Records.

Helpful Veteran Resources